Sunday, June 29, 2008

Glaciers

Our first full day in New Zealand we spent driving from Christchurch, towards Queenstown. Although we spent most of the day in the car, it was really nice because we got to make lists of baby names we like (and no - we're not telling anyone what they are :) and talk about other baby stuff. With less than 15 weeks to go, we're getting pretty excited. Plus, the scenery was beautiful!

Colin and I did a short little hike out to this lake, and it was really beautiful. It actually reminded us of the Maroon Bells in Colorado. Then we did another little hike out to the end of the Fox Glacier. I've never seen a glacier, so I thought it was pretty cool. You can see it behind us in the pictures below.

You can actually go climbing on the glacier, but you have to have a guide, and I didn't think the baby was quite up for it, so we were happy with just seeing it. There is another glacier about 30 minutes away, and it is in a little town called Franz Josef. The hike to this was was a little more difficult and technical, so we decided not to do it, but we did stay overnight in the town at the cutest bed and breakfast. It was just what we were looking for - they had a warm fire going when we arrived that night and they made us hot chocolates to drink in front of the fire. There was only one other couple staying there that night, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. It was a perfect start to our trip.

1 comment:

The Schimmels Family said...

Glad to hear that you had a fun trip. I love seeing all of your photos be sure to post more when you can:)

Love
Jessica