Since this is our first year in our Australian house (we were still homeless for Christmas last year) we decided to see if any of our friends would be around on Christmas Eve. It turns out that they all were, so we had a wonderful dinner party on Christmas Eve with 10 0f our friends. It was really fun getting ready for the party - I bought lots of cute decorations when I was home in November (man, I really miss Crate and Barrel over here!), so we got a tree and decorated the house. Here's some pictures of our tree and the table decorations (the picture in front of the tree was actually Christmas morning before we went down to Mullumbimby).

The little candy canes on the plates were my mom's great idea - we copied it from Starbucks :) I made white chocolate peppermint bark and let it set in the cookie cutters. They turned out really cute (just as good as Starbucks!).We cooked a delicious Christmas dinner, Colin even made a turkey and I made pumpkin pie. And, although I know for us Americans, pumpkin pie is for Thanksgiving, but they don't have pumpkin pie at all in Australia! They only eat pumpkin as a savory vegetable, never as a sweet dessert. So, I brought back some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and made one for Christmas Eve. And they LOVED it! Well, most of them did, I think there may have been one or two that weren't convinced :) But, I have had some requests that my mom and sister bring some more pumpkin over with them in February and March.

After dinner we did a secret santa gift exchange where you open a gift according to the number you drew out of a hat, and then each person after you has the opportunity to open a new gift or steal yours if they like it. It started out very civilized, but by the end, I had about 6 presents stolen from me! Luckily, Colin was after me and he stole the gift I wanted back :) Isn't he a wonderful husband? :)
The whole night was really fun and I can't wait to do it again next year (wherever we are)!
No comments:
Post a Comment