Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Guess Where We Went - AGAIN?!?


Well, as I'm sure you can guess from the photos, we had to go to the hospital again for Colin's gallstones. This time he was admitted to the surgical ward from the Emergency Room. Sounds like he's finally going to get his surgery, right? Wrong. So, we got to the ER at about 8am after being at home in pain for about 3 1/2 hours. This was the worst pain he's had yet. We spent about 5 hours in the ER, at which point his pain was actually gone. But, they decided to admit him for "pain management" anyway. We thought this sounded promising and asked if there was a chance they would take his gallbladder out, but, they quickly assured us that they will not do the surgery as an emergency, and he'd have to just wait until his appointment in May. So, we told them he was no longer having pain therefore did not need to be admitted, but they wanted to "watch" him for at least a few more hours. He hadn't eaten since dinner last night, and they wouldn't let him eat or drink anything there. Plus, the room he was admitted into was shared with 3 other people, and you had to pay to watch TV! I know I sound really whiny, but it has been really frustrating. I asked the surgeon what we were supposed to do for the next 5 months when Colin is doubled over in pain, can't sleep and has to miss work, and he said there was really nothing we could do since this is an "elective surgery."


So, after sitting in his room on the surgical ward, not eating, and staring at the walls for 3 hours, they finally decided to discharge him. Now, we're home again getting ready to make another wonderful fat-free dinner :) But, there is some good news! The surgeon put through a new order to have the surgery done within 30 days. He says it may not happen quite that quickly, but that Colin shouldn't have to wait for his appointment in May (which was only an appointment to see the surgeon, not actually for the surgery). So, we're very hopeful that this may get done next month. So, that's what's going on here... we'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Jean said...

I'm so sorry you guys! But wow, those pictures are lovely. :-) I think we'll be seeing hopsital gowns on the runway in Milan before we know it!
Feel better Col. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a surgery date in Feb. xx