Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Good News!

I got a job! Well, it's only a part time job (2 days a week), but it's a good start, and I'm really excited about it! I'm going to be working for the Queensland Cancer Fund as a Cancer Support Coordinator. Here's a link to their website if you're interested - www.qldcancer.com.au. They are a non-profit organization that raise money for cancer research and provide support and education to people with cancer and the general community.

I think I'm really going to love doing this job. One of my primary responsibilities is that every person in the Gold Coast that is newly diagnosed with cancer gets referred to me. It is my job to help them obtain any support they need, including emotional support, support groups, assistance with travel and accommodation for their treatments (many have to go to Brisbane for treatments), etc. I will also be traveling throughout the Gold Coast to all of the hospitals to network with the staff and let them know about our services and programs. I will be planning and organizing educational programs for the Queensland Oncology Nursing Group and the Allied Health Professionals Oncology Group, as well as for the general public. I will also be involved in hiring and training volunteers for the organization. I'm not sure what else I will be doing, but I'll find out next week when I start!

So, it is very different from every other job I've ever had, but I think it will be something new and challenging. I will miss pediatrics, but I will be working in the area that has always been most important to me. And I will be working directly with people to help them deal with cancer. This job is only part time because it is job-shared with another person, so that will be interesting too. I am planning to get another part time job (so that I'm working full-time) and hopefully that will be in pediatrics. So, I am very excited (and a little nervous) about this new chapter in my life! I'm sure I will have lots of stories for you soon! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Carrie Venn said...

YEAH! Congratulations, Leslie. That sounds like a job you will be VERY GOOD at. It's always exciting to try something new. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Carrie Venn said...

Oh! AND you guys are SO tan! NOT FAIR!!

Jean said...

Congratulations Leslie! I'm so excited for you. I know you're going to be great at this job. It sounds like a perfect fit!